Bisibelabath is the perfect dish for any party and potluck. This is the favorite dish in my family.
SERVING SIZE â€“ 3 to 4
- Rice â€“ 1 cup
- Toor dal â€“ Â½ cup
- Vegetables (Carrot, Beans, Potato, Cauliflower, Peas, Bean Seeds) – each Â½ cup
- Onion (medium) â€“ 1 No
- Shallot (Baby Onion) â€“ 10 Nos
- Tomato â€“ 2 Nos
- Turmeric powder â€“ 1 tsp
- Tamarind Juice â€“ 1 Â½ – 2 cup
- Hing â€“ Â½ tsp
- Salt â€“ to taste
- Butter/Ghee â€“ for seasoning
- Cashew nuts â€“ 5 pieces
- Channa dal â€“ 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds â€“ 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (venthayam) â€“ Â½ tsp
- Whole Pepper (Optional) Â â€“ 5 Nos
- Cinnamon â€“ 1 inch stick
- Cloves â€“ 2 Nos
- Cardamom â€“ 2 Nos
- Red chilies â€“ 10 – 12 Nos
- Grated Coconut â€“ 2 tbsp
- Take a pressure cooker; cook the rice and toor dal together for 4 whistles using 4 -5 cups of water.
- Take a kadai, add few drops of oil, and add the channa dal, cinnamon stick, coriander seeds, red chilies, fenugreek seeds, cardamom and cloves. Fry all until golden color. Finally add the grated coconut and fry it for few minutes. Make sure doesnâ€™t burn.
- Grind all the sauted items in to powder using a mixie.
- Take a big pan, add 2 tbsp of oil, when itâ€™s hot add the chopped onion and shallot and stir well. Cook it until golden color. Add turmeric powder and hing mix it well.
- Add the chopped tomato and mix well.
- Add all the chopped veggies and add 2 cups of water. Let it half cooked.
- Then add the tamarind juice and boil it for 2 minutes. Add the salt and the above ground spice mixture and mix it well. Cook until all the veggies are tender. Cook it in the medium heat.
- Then add the cooked rice and dal and mix it well. Add water, if necessary. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Splutter the mustard seeds in ghee/butter add the curry leaves and roast the cashew nuts in the ghee/butter. Add this to the rice mixture. If you want you can add more ghee/butter to your taste.
- Serve it hot with raita and chips/papad.