SERVING SIZE β 3
- Chick peas / Garbanzo beans β 2 cups
- Onion (big size) β 1 number
- Tomato (medium) β 2 numbers
- Channa masal powder β 1 Β½ – 2 tbsp
- Green chilies β 1 – 2 numbers
- Red chili powder β Β½ tsp
- Turmeric powder β Β½ tsp
- Ginger- garlic paste β 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice β 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves β few
- Cloves β 2 numbers
- Cinnamon β Β½ inch stick
- Bay leaves β 2 numbers
- Cardamom β 2 numbers
- Cumin seeds β 1 tsp
- Hing β 2 pinch (optional)
- Salt β to taste
- Oil β 2 tbsp
- Butter β Β½ tbsp
- Soak chick peas over night. Then cook it in the pressure cooker for 4 β 5 whistles with enough water. [OR]Β You can use the canned chick peas.
- Take a kadai, heat the oil and butter, and add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, hing and cumin seeds. Then add the chopped onion and sautΓ© it until golden color.
- Add chopped green chilies, turmeric powder, ginger β garlic paste and sautΓ© it until raw smell is gone.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix it well. Let it cook for 5-10 min. Then add the channa masala powder, red chili powder and mix it well. Add some water, let it come to boil.
- Add the canned or cooked chick peas and mix it well. Let it cook for 5 minutes. And switch off the stove.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice and mix it well.
- Serve it hot with chapatti, poori [or] rice.
- You can also grind the Onion, tomato, Green Chilli, Ginger and Garlic in a mixer and then saute instead of finely chopping (just chop it to your liking).