This is my first try @ Karaikudi authentic recipe. I came across this Karaikudi Delicacy a while back and since then always wanted to try it. As this is outside of my usual Kuzhambu varities, I wanted to give it a go and it came out well.
- Small onion â€“ 10 nos
- Tomato â€“ 1 no
- Garlic â€“ 5 nos
- Tamarind water â€“ 2 cups
- Turmeric powder â€“ ÂĽ tsp
- Red chili powder â€“ 4 tsp
- Coriander powder â€“ 6 tsp
- Coconut Milk â€“ 2 tbsp
- Salt â€“ to taste
- Oil â€“ 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf â€“ 1 no
- Fenugreek seeds â€“ ÂĽ tsp
- Fennel seeds â€“ ÂĽ tsp
- Besan flour â€“ Âľ cup
- Cumin seeds â€“ ÂĽ tsp
- Fennel seeds â€“ 2 pinches
- Turmeric powder â€“ 2 pinches
- Red chili powder â€“ 2 pinches/ to taste
- Coriander powder â€“ 2 pinches
- Salt â€“ to taste
- Water â€“ as needed
- Heat the Oil in the Kadai and add Bay leaves, Fenugreek seeds and Fennel seeds. Let it splutter. Add the chopped Onion and chopped Garlic. Saute it until the raw smell is gone. Then add the chopped Tomato and sautĂ© it for 2 minutes.
- Add the Turmeric powder, Red Chili powder and Coriander powder. Saute it well. Add the Tamarind water and Salt. Let it boil.
- Meanwhile, take a bowl and add â€śFor dosaâ€ť items and mix it well. The batter should be in thick consistency.
- Heat the Skillet, pour a ladle of Batter and spread it into round shape [Dosa should be in Uttappam consistency]. Sprinkle some oil. Let it cook. Then flip over and cook. Take it out. Roll the Dosa and cut it into 1-1.5 inch piece. Do the same for rest of the batter.
- Drop the cut Dosa pieces into the boiling gravy and add the Coconut milk. Gently mix the gravy and taking care not to tear the Dosa. Let it boil for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Serve the hot Karaikudi Dosa Kuzhambu with Rice.
- Note: You can try making it without adding the Bay leaf and Fennel seeds while seasoning â€“ but that wouldnâ€™t do justice to the authenticity â€“ would it?. : )