Kadappa is one of the authentic and famous side-dish from Thanjavur-Kumbakonam side. Itâ€™s primarily served as side dish for Idli/Dosa and gives a different taste/flavour from the usual sambar.
- Moong Dal/ Paasi paruppu – 1/4 cup
- Potato [M] â€“ 2 nos
- Onion [L] â€“ 1 no
- Salt – As needed
- Lemon Juice – From 1/2 of a lemon
- Coriander leaves- For garnish
- To Grind:
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves â€“ 2 nos
- Green chilies â€“ 3 nos / to taste
- Fennel seeds/Soambu – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tblsp
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Mustard – 3/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Wash the Moong dal and add a pinch of Turmeric powder and add enough water and cook it in pressure for 3 whistles. Cook the Potato separate or along with Moong dal in a separate vessel. When the pressure is release, peel the skin of the Potato and mash it. Mash the Moong dal and keep it aside.
- Grind the ‘to grind’ items by adding little water until smooth paste using blender.
- Take a Kadai, heat the Oil and then add the ‘to temper’ items. When the Mustard seeds splutters, add the chopped Onion and sautĂ© until translucent. Then add the2 cups of water, Salt, mashed Potato and Moong dal and mix it well. Let it boil.
- Then add the ground paste. Cook until the gravy gets thick. Cook it in the low flame and stir it often to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Finally add the lemon juice and mix it well. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Yummy Kadappa is ready. Serve it with Idli /Dosa /Roti /Rice.