Who doesn’t like French Fries and that too homemade?. After a lot of pestering from my husband i finally caved in and decide to make it. I am sharing with you the umpteenth+1 version of it ðŸ™‚
SERVING SIZE â€“ 2 (Well, it depends on one’s craving, ain’t it?)
- Russet Potato – 2 big size (3-5 inch length)
- Salt – to taste
- Chat Masala – 2-3 pinch
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 pinch
- Canola Oil – as needed
- Wash the Russet Potato to remove dirt from the skin.
- Peel the skin and cut the potato into 1/3 – 1/4 inch slices. Then cut the slices into sticks of 1/3 inch or to your desired size length wise.
- Add the cut potato sticks to a big bowl, add water and rinse/wash them multiple times to remove the Starch. Wash them until the water looks clear and not pale white.
- After washing, add fresh clear water and soak the potato sticks for a minimum of 2 hours (you can do up-to 1 day). This will help remove any excess starch and prevent them from oxidizing (the potato should look fresh and white).
- During this time, prepare the Masala seasoning to sprinkle over the fries – Add Salt , Chat Masala and Red Chilli Powder and mix them and keep it aside.
- Take a Kadai and add the Canola oil and heat in Medium flame/heat (if you have a deep fry thermometer, measure it to 250F). There should be at least 1 in of oil above when the potato is put in.
- While the oil is heating, take the Potato sticks and pat dry them using a paper or cotton towel to remove excess water.
- Add around 15-20 sticks (or 2 handful) in the hot oil and fry/cook them. Cook for 6-8 min until it turns light brown.
- Take the Potato out and drain them in a paper to remove excess oil. After this process, it shouldn’t look shining. At this stage the Potato should be tender.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the Potato sticks.
- Now heat up the same oil in the Kadai in High flame/heat (if you have a deep fry thermometer, measure it to 350F).
- Add around 15-20 oil dried Potato Sticks back to the hot oil and fry until it turns golden color (around 2 min).
- Remove the Fried Potato Sticks (aka French fries) by draining oil and put them in a clean bowl.
- Sprinkle the Masala Seasoning over the French Fries and toss and mix them. Repeat the process for the remainder of the potato sticks.
- Enjoy the Masala French Fries with Tomato ketchup.
- For seasoning,Â instead of Masala Seasoning, you can just sprinkle Salt as needed and toss.