SERVING SIZE β 3
- Penne Pasta β 1 cup
- Vegetable stock β 2 cups
- Onion [M] β 1 number
- Garlic (finely chopped) β 1 tsp
- Tomato puree β 1 cup
- Zucchini [Medium] β 1 number
- Yellow Squash β 1 number
- Carrot [Medium] β 1 number
- Celery – 1 cup (chopped)
- Basil leaves β few sprigs
- Red kidney beans β ΒΌ cup (cooked)
- Chick peas β ΒΌ cup (cooked)
- Crush Black pepper β to taste
- Italian seasoning β to taste
- Red chili powder (optional) β 2 pinches
- Spring onion β for garnishing
- Olive oil β 3 tbsp
- Salt β to taste
- Cook the penne pasta separate as per the instruction in the box (i.e. 8-10 min in boiling water).
- Soak the chick peas and red kidney beans overnight and cook it in the pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- Take a large pan and heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and when it is translucent, add the chopped garlic and sautΓ© until raw smell is gone.
- Add the tomato puree and cook it until raw smell is gone. Then add the red chili powder and pepper powder and mix it well.
- Add the chopped veggies, few basil leaves and salt and mix it well. Add the vegetable stock and some water to mix it well. Cover it with lid.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- And add the cooked pasta, chick peas, red kidney beans and Italian seasoning. Mix it well. Cook all together for last 5 minutes. Now you can adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste.
- The consistency should be not too watery or too thick. It should be in the medium.
- Garnish it with spring onion and some basil leaves.
- Serve it hot with toasted bread.
- You can use any kind of pasta variety (Macaroni, Ditalini etc…)
- Instead of fresh basil you can use dry basil as well.
- Add the cooked beans and chick peaβs water while boiling the soup.
- You can use any bean variety (eg: – Cannellini beans/White beans etc…)
- Canned beans are also fine.