SERVING SIZE β 4
- Onion (medium) β 1 no
- Murungakkai/ Drumstick (Cut into 2 inch pieces) β 10 nos
- Garlic β 4 cloves (optional)
- Turmeric powder β ΒΌ tsp
- Grated Coconut β 1 tbsp
- Sambar Powder β 1 Β½ tbsp / to taste
- Tamarind paste β 1 tbsp / to taste
- Hing β 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seed β 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seed -1/2 tsp
- Toor Dal β 1/4 tsp
- Salt β To taste
- Gingelly Oil β 4 tsp
- Curry leaves β 2 sprigs
- Grated Jaggery β 1 tsp
- Water β 2-2.5 cups
- Peal the skin off onion and garlic, then cut into small pieces.
- Mix the Tamarind paste in 2 cups of water and keep it to the side.
- Heat the Kadai and add Oil, Mustard seeds. After it splutters, add the Fenugreek seed and Toor dal. Once it become golden brown, add the Onions and saute it for few minutes. Then add the Garlic and saute it until raw smell is gone. Now add the Drumstick and mix it well.
- Add the grated Coconut, Turmeric and Sambar powder, saute it for few seconds.
- Add the Tamarind extract, Salt, Hing and Curry leaves. Allow it to boil for 15 min, until the oil separates. Cook it in the medium flame.
- Finally add the Jaggery and mix it well. Switch off the flame/heat.
- Serve it hot with Rice. Keerai Masiyal / Snake Gourd Kootu and Potato Curry is the perfect combination.