Thanks to my friend Suha who introduced me to Quinoa (pronounced as Kinwa) – a South American seed (pseudo-cereal) rich in protein and fiber. Its a very good alternative to rice, wheat and fada. It’s starting to become known/available in India these days, but availability might be scarce/costly.
- Quinoa (Pronounced as Kinwa) ¬†- 2 cup
- Carrot – 2 long Carrots cut into small tiny pieces
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Hing – 2 pinch
- Red Chilli- 2 nos
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – every 1 cup of Quinoa needs 2 Cup of water for boiling
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Wash the Quinoa in normal water to remove them of any impurities. Add 4 cups of Water and cook them in Microwave for 12-15 minutes(high setting). If you use a pressure cooker, cook it for 3-4 whistles. Keep the cooked Quinoa aside.
- Cook the cut Carrots and Peas in microwave for 4 minutes (high setting). If you use a Pressure cooker, cook it for 2 whistles. Make sure not to mash them. Keep it aside.
- Take a kadai, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the Red Chilli cut into 4 pieces and Hing. Saute it.
- Add the cooked vegetables and add salt ¬†to taste and saute it. Add the cooked Quinoa into the vegetables and mix them well. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle water as needed to keep the mix in Upma consistency.
- Keep it in low heat for 5 min and switch off.
- Delicious Quinoa Upma is ready to serve.
- You can add cut onions to the mix while sauteing. Add any kind of ¬†boiled vegetable to the Upma as you like (do not add too much).