One of the easiest side dish/lunch box recipes that is a must have in the kitchen.
- Tomato [Large] â€“ 4 nos
- Green chili â€“ 2 nos (finely chopped) / to taste
- Sambar powder â€“ 2 tsp/ to taste
- Turmeric powder â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Asafetida powder â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Curry leaves â€“ 1 sprig
- Salt â€“ to taste
- Oil â€“ 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Channa dal â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Urad dal â€“ Â¼ tsp
Serves – as needed
Preparation Time – 25 min
- Wash and finely chop the tomatoes.
- Take a pan, heat the oil and add Mustard seeds. When it splutters, add Channa and Urad dal. When it turns golden color, add the Green chilies, Curry leaves and Asafoetida and mix it well.
- Now add the chopped Tomatoes, Turmeric powder and Salt. Mix it well. Cover it with the lid. Let it cook for few minutes. Keep the Tomatoes mixing often to avoid burn-in.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add the sambar powder and mix it well. Now no need to close it with the lid. Let it cook until it becomes thick. Switch off the flame. (The Thokku has little moisture in it and once it cools it will become thicker). Keep it aside until its cool. Transfer it into a dry and air tight container.
- Serve the yummy Thakkali Thokku with Rice/Roti/Idli/Dosa.
- Note: According to the tanginess of Tomato, adjust the spiciness.