Who doesn’t like Biryani?. It’s one of the premium food we order when going to a Restaurant or prepare at home during special events. Making an awesome ‘tasting’ Biryani is sometimes a challenging task. Here is my version of Veg Biryani that was liked by my friends and family.
- Basmati rice â€“ 2 cups
- Onion (M) â€“ 1 (Thinly slice)
- Turmeric Powder –Â 2 tsp
- Tomato (M) â€“ 2 nos
- Potato (M) â€“ 1 (cut in to pieces)
- Carrot (M) â€“ 1 (peel the skin and cut into pieces)
- Frozen peas â€“ 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower florets â€“ Â½ cup
- Beans â€“ Â½ cup (chopped)
- Curd â€“ Â¼ cup
- Green chilies â€“ 2
- Mint and coriander leaves (Chopped) â€“ few
- Salt â€“ to taste
- Oil and butter â€“ 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Oil â€“ Â¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds â€“ 3 tbsp
- Red chilies â€“ 5 to 6 nos / to taste
- Cloves â€“ 4 nos
- Cinnamon stick â€“ 1 inch
- Cardamom â€“ 2 nos
Time – 35-45 min (excluding Rice Soak time)
Cooking the rice:
- Wash the rice and soak it in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add the soaked rice (water is already measured so do not add water), few spoon of oil and salt and mix it.
- Bring in to boil, then cover it with the lid and reduce the flame to medium and cook it for 10 minutes. Gently mix the rice using fork during cooking.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
Preparing the Masala:
- Take a Kadai, add few drops of oil and add the masala items and sautÃ© it until golden color.
- Let it cool and grind it into powder consistency using a blender/mixie.
Cooking the Veggies and Making the Biryani:
- Take a heavy bottom pan, add oil and butter. Add the bay leaves, cloves , cinnamon stick, cardamom and cumin seeds.
- When it sputters, add the onion and saute until golden color. Add the Ginger Garlic paste, turmeric powder and mix it until raw smell is gone.
- Add the Green Chilies, Mint leaves, chopped Tomatoes and mix it well. When itâ€™s done, now add the Veggies, Curd and half of the ground Masala and salt, mix it well.
- Add Â½ cup of water, mix it and cover it with the lid. Cook it in the medium flame until all veggies are tender.
- Now add the rest of the Masala and mix it well. If needed you can add the salt. If it is very dry add few spoons of water in the middle of cooking.
- Now add the cooked Rice and chopped Coriander leaves and gently mix it well. Garnish it with fried cashew nuts.
- Serve it hot with Raita and Chips.