Thanks to my friend Suha who introduced me to Quinoa (pronounced as Kinwa) – a South American seed (pseudo-cereal) rich in protein and fiber. Its a very good alternative to rice, wheat and fada. It’s starting to become known/available in India these days, but availability might be scarce/costly.
- Quinoa (Pronounced as Kinwa) - 2 cup
- Carrot – 2 long Carrots cut into small tiny pieces
- Peas – 1/2 cup
- Hing – 2 pinch
- Red Chilli- 2 nos
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Salt – as needed
- Water – every 1 cup of Quinoa needs 2 Cup of water for boiling
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Wash the Quinoa in normal water to remove them of any impurities. Add 4 cups of Water and cook them in Microwave for 12-15 minutes(high setting). If you use a pressure cooker, cook it for 3-4 whistles. Keep the cooked Quinoa aside.
- Cook the cut Carrots and Peas in microwave for 4 minutes (high setting). If you use a Pressure cooker, cook it for 2 whistles. Make sure not to mash them. Keep it aside.
- Take a kadai, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the Red Chilli cut into 4 pieces and Hing. Saute it.
- Add the cooked vegetables and add salt to taste and saute it. Add the cooked Quinoa into the vegetables and mix them well. Add salt to taste. Sprinkle water as needed to keep the mix in Upma consistency.
- Keep it in low heat for 5 min and switch off.
- Delicious Quinoa Upma is ready to serve.
- You can add cut onions to the mix while sauteing. Add any kind of boiled vegetable to the Upma as you like (do not add too much).